Fostering, it's our life blood
To Foster: To save a Yorkie's life by providing a temporary home.
Yorkies lose their homes when their owner dies, or goes through a divorce, is deployed in the military or has to move where dogs are not allowed or for some reason just cannot keep the Yorkie.
Here is the REALITY
Homeless Yorkies cannot be saved by Save A Yorkie if there is no temporary home available. The dog needs a place, a space, to exist in until a permanent home is approved for it. If there is no space available at the shelter, and no one to take him temporarily (foster), the dog will be killed.
That is a simple fact. Millions of dogs and cats are put to death each year in the United States - at least 25% are purebred - such as Yorkies. If more people agreed to foster, the animals would be saved until someone is found who is willing to adopt them. It's that simple. If there is a foster, the animal lives to be adopted.
That's where you can make an enormous difference to a Yorkie.
The call to rescue comes into us and we can't say yes unless we have you and your home for the Yorkie to come into. It's a situation we face all too many times. Our foster parents and YOUR HOME can save the life of a precious Yorkie.
If we had more foster homes, we could save so many more Yorkies. Then we have time to get them adopted into good homes, homes where the Yorkie will not only be able to live, but be able to thrive, to play, to love and to snuggle. That's how important fostering is.
Fostering Benefits You as Much as the Yorkie!
1. Test the Waters: fostering is an opportunity to "sample" different Yorkies, and see what it is like to have one if you're not yet ready to commit forever. Maybe you go to Florida in the winter or on vacation frequently and can't have a dog of your own.Foster! You get to have a dog and still go on vacation.
2. Entertainment! You'll never be bored! There is always something to do with your foster from cuddling to playing fetch to teaching the dog to "sit." You can brush his hair, put a bow in the top knot, and take pictures to show off your foster dog.
3. Be Proud! Getting a homeless Yorkie ready for adoption by giving your love, time, and friendship is such a rewarding feeling! You yourself have saved a life. And it isn't a cost
4. Community: make new friends by fostering! It's a great way to meet new people who care about this incredible breed. We have get-togethers at least twice a year. Wait until you join us at Yorkie Day in the Spring!Our volunteers are the best! Passionate, so friendly and inclusive, and someone is always available to guide you when you have questions or concerns. We are a big Yorkie family!
3. Literally save a life! Opening your heart and home is an important part of saving a life. Fostering a Yorkie is the most direct way you can help a Yorkie in jeopardy. NOTHING is more urgent or important than taking one small dog into your home for a few weeks.
Remember, it's simple to do and we guide and mentor you - you are never alone. We are with you.
Where do you begin?
1. Fill out the "Adoption/Foster Application."
2. Call your vet to give us permission to call them.
We'll do the rest!
Have questions? We can answer them call one of us:
Kathy: 609 634 8212
Marilyn: 610 781 3025
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK